At Sheffield Springs Academy we aim to develop character, compassion and service. We want our pupils to look back on a joyful schooling which has inspired and challenged them, given wide opportunity and prepared them for life’s broad experiences.
As such, we have devised ‘The Springs Promise’ and ‘The Springs Challenge’ with our core values Excellence, Pride and Ambition in mind.
The Springs Promise
The Springs Promise sets our expectations for the wider opportunities that each pupil will access during their time at Sheffield Springs Academy. Our promises aim to expose pupils to experiences they would never otherwise receive, giving the opportunity to do new and exciting activities outside of school and the local community, and meet other children from other regions.
- Attend a residential visit
- Explore the city you live in through a variety of cultural experiences
- Be creative through playing a musical instrument, singing in a choir, participating in extra-curricular sport or taking part in a drama or dance production
- Listen to an inspirational speaker
- Attend an artistic, cultural or sporting event
- Help others through voluntary activities, fundraising or enterprise
- Represent the academy at a public facing event
- Develop leadership and character through student council, student ambassadors, sports leaders and anti-bullying representatives
- Be prepared for life in modern Britain through activities including debates and public speaking
- To have meaningful encounters with further education providers and employers
The Springs Challenge
The Springs Challenge encourages students to learn how to broaden their experiences, to face and overcome difficulties, to become well rounded and determined young people when they leave school. These challenges are designed with a focus on building leadership, communication and presentation skills, understand the importance of resilience, challenge and problem-solving, as well as provide opportunities to celebrate their success and achievements.
Y7 – Assembly presentations and speech showcases
Students will work alongside the charity Debate-able to develop their oral literacy skills. Challenge will increase throughout the year, from working in small groups focusing on debating and presentation skills to leading on whole school assemblies and representing the school in debating competitions.
Y8 – Aspirations day including STEM challenge
Focusing on STEM and careers within STEM, pupils will be put to the test to achieve the Bronze CREST Award. Pupils will also be attending the Get Up To Speed event held in Sheffield and The Big Bang Fair held in Birmingham to get hands on experiences with STEM activities and to raise aspirations within STEM.
Y9 – 15 miles sponsored walk around Rothervalley
From Sheffield Springs Academy to the Sahara Desert pupils will collectively walk 1890 miles around Rothervalley. The walk will develop pupil’s endurance both physically and mentally, and develop a determination and resilience to push themselves and each other.
Y10 – Social action project
A variety of social action projects will be run throughout the year guided by Year 10 pupils. Pupils will vote on projects that will have a positive impact on the local community. Pupils will work alongside with the school student council to support all social action projects.
Y11 - Life after Springs
Students will be working throughout the year to prepare for college, apprenticeships and work gaining support with their CV’s, interviews and UCAS applications. Students will have opportunities to visit college’s apprenticeship fairs and universities to experience new opportunities whilst working alongside Sheffield Futures, a charity working with pupils to help guide their futures after school.