Welcome to the Sheffield Springs Academy Website
On behalf of all the staff and students I would like to welcome you to Sheffield Springs Academy. Thank you for visiting our website we hope you find it useful and informative.
Sheffield Springs Academy is an 11-16 secondary school serving the Park, Manor and Castle wards of Sheffield. As part of United Learning, our aim is to bring out ‘the best in everyone’ and we continuously strive to ensure that students and staff here have every opportunity to do so. We have 3 core values which we promote with our students these are:
• Excellence - We have the determination and enthusiasm to be the best version of ourselves
• Pride - We are proud of ourselves, our academy and our community; we respect everyone around us
• Ambition - We have confidence to seek opportunity, imagine possibilities and make them real
I am very proud of our school and, most importantly, of the students and staff with whom i have the pleasure of spending each day with.
In order to achieve the best in everyone and our core values we have a constant focus on high standards from our students whether in uniform, behaviour, communication, manners or perseverance. We are relentless in our pursuit of the small things that we believe have a big impact on our school culture and environment and our students’ attitude to learning. Our staff have fantastic relationships with our students and both support and challenge them to be the best that they can be in every aspect of their life.
At Sheffield Springs Acqdemy, we believe that our first priority is to help our children learn. We place this at the heart of every decision that we make and ask ourselves: will this improve student learning? We believe that all students are capable of making outstanding progress and attaining at the highest level, whatever their starting point. We do not make excuses for our students: we firmly believe that there are no barriers to achievement that cannot be overcome by a determined and resilient student attending a supportive school. We try and establish what each student needs in order to make this outstanding progress and ensure that no child is left behind.
In addition to the importance we place on learning in the classroom we also work hard to deliver an education with character. This is delivered through our 'Springs Promise' and 'Springs Challenge'. Our promise aims to expose students to experiences they would never otherwise receive, giving the opportunity to do new and exciting activities outside of school, the local community, and meet children from other regions.
1. Attend a residential visit
2. Explore the city you live in through a variety of cultural experiences
3. Be creative through playing a musical instrument, singing in the choir, participating in extra-curricular sport or taking part in a drama or dance production
4. Listen to an inspirational speaker
5. Attend an artistic, cultural or sporting event
6. Helping others through voluntary activities, fundraising or enterprise
7. Represent the academy at a public facing event
8. Develop leadership and character through the student council, student ambassadors, sports leaders and anti-bullying representatives
9. Be prepared for modern life in Britain through activities including debates and public speaking
10. To have meaningful encounters with further education providers and employers
In addition all students take part in the Springs Challenge. Every student completes a particular challenge with their own year group. These challenges are designed with a focus on building leadership, communication and presentation skills.To understand the importance of resilience, challenge and problem solving as well as celebrating success and achievements. The challenges for each year groups are:
• Year 7 - Assembly presentations and speech showcases
• Year 8 - Aspirations day including STEM challenge
• Year 9 - 15 mile sponsored walk
• Year 10 - Social action project
• Year 11 - Life after Springs
We also place a high importance on developing students leadership skills. An example of this are our gold tie ambassadors. These young people have to apply for the role and demonstrate a number of important skills before interviewing for the role. The role they play in school is an crucial one. Not only do they support the important work that the school does in the local community but they also support our students within the school on a daily basis whilst also acting as role models.
Should you wish to visit then please do not hesitate to contact us. I am really proud of our young people, staff and the community we serve and would be delighted to to show you around our school.